- why this book is one that they love or were touched by
- what characteristics make this book great
- what other books might vie for the title of Greatest Novel
- what are the worst books
- who is the greatest novelist
- why I am asking this question
- and so forth
(I do like these discussions.) Here is the list I've collected so far. I will list them in the comments section. Readers, please add your votes.
My personal answer is: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
P.S. Even if your favorite is already listed, please feel free to list it again. In addition, your comments related to whys and wherefores are very welcome.