Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Above the Eastern Treetops, Blue

Dear Libby Falk Jones,

I am so happy to hear that you are publishing a new book of poetry!

Publishing is an amazing thing really. I have spent the last few years facilitating publication, both print and online. Publication, I have often said, is a public form of communication. It is the transfer of ideas from one individual to another using some medium of exchange.


When that medium is poetry, well. . . the communication is pretty special. The poet condenses and distills ideas and then communicates and publishes abroad. The words become powerful, like nectar, like espresso, or like a dagger.

I love this poem that you have allowed me to post here.

October Tenth: For My First Son


At a surprise T’ai Chi class (the yoga
            teacher was sick) I breathe in, hold,
                        breathe out, willing my ribs to


expand, focusing on the knot
            in the floorboard, circling my hands
                        over the energy flame in my navel


as eighteen years ago today
            I panted your life into life,
                        my fingers circling my knotted


belly, my focus down
            and out, my core expanding, my
                        center sliding forward, until


there you sat, upright
            in the doctor’s palm, your arms
                        circling the universe.


                                                —Libby Jones





Again, congratulations on your new book: Above the Eastern Treetops, Blue, from Finishing Line Press!



Betsy

No comments: