Saturday, December 06, 2008

A Northern Carol - Koppångeçen

Dear Moraeus Gang,

I had not heard this beautiful Swedish "carol" until this year. The Christmas Album by Anne Sofie von Otter says that it was composed by Pereric Moraeus. Then I found this beautiful rendition by Anne Moraeus on YouTube. Are you related? Whether or not, you two have wonderful synchronicity.

Koppångeçen
Composed by Pereric Moraeus



There is silence around me in this peaceful winter night.
From the church down in the valley I can see the candlelight.
And I stopped for a moment in this winter paradise,
When I heard a choir singing through the darkness and the ice.

And the rays of lights behind the window's vaulted frames
Have united the souls in hope that something great is waiting.
And I know that those who have left us here had the same thoughts as I,
We're like flames in the darkness and stars up in the sky.

And I see how they sparkle and they fade before my eyes
And the truth is coming closer like a wonder in disguise.
We are caught here for a moment like an imprint of a hand
On an old and frosted window or a footprint in the sand.

For a while I'm eternal - that's the only thing I know,
I am here and we share our dreams about our destination.
It is cold out here, the snow is white but I'm warm deep inside.
I am warm 'cause I know that my faith will be my guide.


There are additional beautiful renditions of this piece on YouTube. I loved this one:
Helen Sjöholm

And Anne Sofie von Otter's version of Koppångeçen is a delight in both English and Swedish.

Thank you, and God Jul.

brd

1 comment:

cadh 8 said...

Ashok listened over my shoulder on this one. HE really liked it, and so did I. He thought it might have a deep Spiritual message, but when I read the only mildly religious lines he was a bit disappointed. But I reminded him that this did not have to deminish the song's beauty. We still know that Christ is the hope of the coldest winter. But he still wished it had turned out to be more of a hymn.

He is so cute. :)